Friday, March 23, 2012

Alter 45 - Cruel Ultimatum


There are few things my buddy Zaiem (@zbeg) loves more in this world than savoring the expression on an opponents face after he resolves a Cruel Ultimatum against them. This card is insane. It's like they made a really mean laundry list of great stuff for you and awful stuff for your opponent and the first one that resolves this gets to read the list to the other player.

It's just disgusting. What could make this even worse for the opposing player?

"I get back Snapcaster Mage from my graveyard."

Ugh.

That said, it brings him so much joy I figured I would bring him a little more by altering this powerhouse of a Magic card for him :)

4 comments:

  1. Love the alters. I'm going to give it a shot myself. Is there any way you could, through theft, bribery, or asking kindly, borrow someone's DSLR or equivalent high quality picture device and blow our minds with some pixels. I've never seen an alter in real life and I'm interested in how much detail can be achieved, especially after a year of work. Either way, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do photography too (www.flickr.com/marshallsutcliffe) but I like to keep the pics for this blog pretty basic. I wish you could see how alters look in real life, it's *very* difficult to do them justice in a photograph or scan it turns out. They look wayyy better in real life, anyone who alters will attest to that.

    Taking a hi-res picture of them however does not help :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I just today completed my second alter and I realize how much different a card can look even by just turning on a lamp, or rotating the card a little bit. I should have just found myself a real card and looked at it if I really wanted to see what it looked like. I started myself a pretty ambitious altering project if you'd like to see the progress at analteredcube.blogspot.com. Thanks for all the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Josh,

    I checked out your blog, awesome project! I bet you will learn a lot through your journey there. I read your post about the Ponder as well. Everything you said or assumed in that post was correct. More water, toothpicks, priming, you are on the right track on all of it so just keep it up!

    ReplyDelete