Monday, November 7, 2011

Alter 36 - Karn Liberated


I recently did an alter for my buddy @James_LRR from LoadingReadyRun, and through that he had an idea. Every year the guys from LRR do a charity event called Desert Bus for Hope. They raise money for the Child's Play charity by playing the worlds most boring video game for dangerously long periods of time. Awesome!

Along side the Desert Bus stuff, they do auctions to raise money for the charity. This is where I come in. James asked if I would be willing to donate some alters that they could auction off. Naturally I said yes, and immediately started thinking about what cards to offer.

I asked around, but our fellow Community Cup teammate and just awesome person Michelle (@Sunie_FDC) came up with the winning idea as she is prone to do. Her idea was to do popular Commander cards. This way we could concentrate on colorless cards, which broadened the potential customer base. It also ensured that the cards would have longer term play value than say a Standard staple or maybe a themed set of older cards.

I was on board right away, and we decided on the following list:

1. Sol Ring (new one)
2. Solemn Simulacrum (new one)
3. Lightning Greaves
4. Command Tower
5. ????

I wanted to do something big for the last one, but Darksteel Colossus or Blightsteel Colossus seemed out of place to me. As did Sundering Titan, Wurmcoil Engine, and everything else I could think of. I wanted something splashy and cool, but also that could go in all decks.

Karn to the rescue! Our newly Liberated friend seemed like a great fit, so we settled on that and here he is in finished form :)

If you are so inclined, I suggest you to check out the Desert Bus and Child's Play sites I linked to above and look into donating. Also, if you want a shot to bid on this set of alters, the info should be on there. (I'm not 100% sure how that part works).

No comments:

Post a Comment